Exhibition list

 

1. DESIGNING THE SQUARE

Extensive public debate preceded the decision by the city to commemorate its centenary by building a public square. Previous schemes had entertained moving City Hall into a commercial development and selling the old building as a speculative development site. The combination of restoration (City Hall, McPherson Theatre and Police Station) with new construction (council chamber wing for City Hall, restaurant and lobby for the theatre, seniors acitivity centre, family law courts and parkade & shopping arcade) was ambitious. The old city market and some buildings on Fisgard Street would be demolished. Cormorant Street would be incorporated into the square and Pandora realigned. Planning and design was coordinated by city architect Roderick Clack. The floorscape of the square was designed by landscape architects Muirhead, Justice & Webb, who were also at work on the Gordon Head Campus Plan. The motif of the circle with the square reiterated the UVic Gordon Head campus plan, albeit on a much more minor scale.

 

Centennial Square Model

1962
Rod Clack and Alan Hodgson
Courtesy City of Victoria

 

Centennial Square Project, View of Second Model

n.d. (ca. 1965)
Digital print from Kodachrome transparency
Private Collection

 

Centennial Square Parkade and Shopping Arcade Proposal

Digital image from preliminary pencil sketch
John Di Castri architect
n.d. (ca.1963)
University of Victoria Archives: #2008.020

 

2. CENTENNIAL FOUNTAIN (1963/5)

Roderick Clack architect, and Jack Wilkinson architect/artist

Funded through contributions by neighbouring municipalities as their centennial gift to the city, the fountain is the focal point of the square. It is little known that Wilkinson's mosaic design, illustrating the themes of growth and maturation, incorporates elements from the University of Victoria coat-of-arms. The architects themselves collaborated in the physical task of applying the mosaics.

 

Centennial Square, View from East

n.d. (ca. 1965)
Rod Clack photo
Digital print from Kodachrome transparency
Private Collection

 

Centennial Square, View from East

n.d. (ca. 1965)
Digital print from Kodachrome transparency
Private Collection

 

3. PARKADE AND SHOPPING ARCADE (1963)

John Di Castri architect

The looming bulk of this large building is relieved by the architect's distinctive decorative use of concrete blocks for the parkade facade screen, much like his Cornett building on campus. Similarly, the decorative use of structural elements, such as in the arcade canopy, also recall the Cornett.

 

Centennial Square Shopping Arcade and Parkade

n.d.
Hubert Norbury (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
UVic Archives: #2008.020

 

Centennial Square Shopping Arcade and Parkade View from the South East

n.d. (1963)
Photo anon.
Photographic print
University of Victoria Archives #2008.020

 

Centennial Square Shopping Arcade and Parkade

n.d. (1963)
Photo anon.
Litho print
University of Victoria Archives #2008.020

 

Centennial Square, Car Park, Shopping Arcade Addition Project

n.d. (1963)
Digital reproduction from project sketch, John Di Castri architect
University of Victoria Archives #2008.020

 

4. McPHERSON THEATRE (1963)

Alan Hodgson architect

Restoration of the 1913 Pantages Theatre interior and the Government Street facade was complemented by wrapping a modern new brick addition around the east side to reorient the lobby onto the square and also provide for a restaurant. A further elevated addition facing the square provided theatre backstage space. The adjacent "knot garden" referenced Victoria's English garden heritage.

 

Centennial Square, View from East

n.d. (ca. 1965)
Digital print from Kodachrome transparency
Private Collection

 

Centennial Square Civic Theatre Project

n.d. (ca. 1963)
Digital print from architectural drawing, Alan Hodgson architect
Private Collection

 

5. CITY HALL AND LEGISLATIVE WING (1963)

Wade Stockdill Armour architects, and Robert Siddall architects

An open glazed atrium links the old and new buildings. This and the new wing containing the council chamber and the mayor's and council members' offices are set off with metal screens. Brick, respectful of the Old Town built environment, is utilized here as with all the new buildings facing the square.

 

Council Chamber Wing Under Construction, City Hall Restoration Commenced, View from North West

n.d. (ca. 1963)
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

Council Chamber Wing, Pandora Street Entrance

n.d. (1965)
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

Council Chamber Wing, Ground Floor Entrance Lobby

n.d. (1965)
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

6. SENIORS CENTRE (1963) Clive Campbell architect and POLICE STATION AND COURTS

Donald Wagg architect

Early on in the design process, Rod Clack arranged for a "design shop" to be set up in one of the buildings adjoining the square. Here the architects and planners could meet and also coordinate their design work as the projects progressed.

 

Seniors Centre View from North West

n.d. (ca. 1965)
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

Police Station and Courts Location Before Construction

n.d. (ca. 1963)
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

City Hall Before Restoration

n.d. (ca. 1962)
Rod Clack photo
Digital print from Kodachrome transparency
Private Collection

 

Fountain and Council Chamber Wing, View from North West

n.d. (ca. 1965)
Rod Clack photo
Digital print from Kodachrome transparency
Private Collection

 

Fountain and Police Station, View from West

n.d. (ca. 1965)
Rod Clack photo
Digital print from Kodachrome transparency
Private Collection

 

7. GORDON HEAD CAMPUS PLAN

By the end of 1961, the local Chamber of Commerce, the City of Victoria and the Victoria College Council were publicly promoting the expansion of the college, its re-establishment as a university and the acquisition of a new, larger site on federal lands in Gordon Head. Two new buildings, built under the supervision of the Department of Public Works, had already been built at Lansdowne, the old Provincial Normal School campus. There was now broad public support for a larger vision. At first a federated system like the University of California was envisaged with Victoria functioning within the larger University of British Columbia.

 

Gordon Head Campus: Projected Master Plan for University of Victoria

April 28, 1961
Drawing: pen and coloured pencil on paper
R. W. Siddall, architect and Wurster Bernardi & Emmons, consulting architects
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.1.2

 

Gordon Head Campus Aerial View to the South West

January 1964
Hubert Norbury (1897–1969)
Photographic print
UVic Archives: #020.0101

 

8. GORDON HEAD CAMPUS PLAN

An in-depth analysis of the two sites (Lansdowne and Gordon Head) by Public Works architect William Lougher-Goodey provided the rationale and background for the ultimate decision to abandon Lansdowne in favour of Gordon Head. This was supported by Victoria College consulting architect Robert Siddall. Lougher-Goodey was no neophyte to such forward thinking. Previously he had been engaged in rethinking the downtown setting for the Parliament Buildings and establishing a plan for what became known as the "parliamentary precinct."

 

Gordon Head Campus Aerial View to the North East

June 1965
R. C. Thurber & Assocates photo
Photographic print
UVic Archives: #020.010

 

Gordon Head Campus: University of Victoria Project Plan

July 11, 1961, revised November 2, 1961
Drawing: pen and coloured pencil on paper
R. W. Siddall architect, Wurster Bernardi & Emmons consulting architects
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.1.4

 

9. GORDON HEAD CAMPUS PLAN

In 1960 Victoria City Mayor Biggerstaff Wilson headed a delegation to visit the University of California at Berkely, San Francisco. Impressed with both the campus and the head of the School of Architecture, William W. Wurster, a report was commissioned from the firm Wurster Bernardi Emmons. Don Emmons's subsequent trip to Victoria resulted in a report that recommended locating the university at the Gordon Head site and amalgamating two properties: the army camp (19.6 acres) and Hudson's Bay Company Lands (119.6 acres). The Master Plan for the Development of the Gordon Head Campus dated December 17, 1962, set the tone, guidelines and direction for the university's growth over the next 50 years.

 

"Master Plan for the Development of Gordon Head Campus"

Wurster Bernardi Emmons architects
1961
UVic Archives #LE3V392W68

 

Gordon Head Campus Projected Master Plan

May 8, 1964
Drawing: pen, coloured pencil & felt on paper
R. W. Siddall architect, Wurster Bernardi Emmons consulting architects
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.1.7

 

Gordon Head Campus Master Plan 1

June 7, 1963
Drawing: pen and coloured pencil on paper
R. W. Siddall architect, and Wurster Bernardi Emmons consulting architects
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.1.2

 

Gordon Head Campus

University of Victoria Master Plan

June 7, 1963
Drawing: pen and coloured pencil on paper
R. W. Siddall architect, Wurster Bernardi & Emmons consulting architects, and Lawrence Halprin and Associates consulting landscape architects
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.1.10

 

10. GORDON HEAD CAMPUS PLAN

WBE plan envisioned a destination university and a residential campus, walkable and livable. A core academic focus on an open quad would be contained within a ring road vehicular access. Transport would link to services, residential, recreational and utilitarian, via this same ring road. WBE first worked with San Francisco Landscape Architects Lawrence Halprin and Associates and then the local firm of Desmond Muirhead and Clive Justice. They suggested a building program of work by local architects where structures would be secondary to the landscape itself. From 1963 the landscape consultant was John Lantzius, who had worked in Justice's office after apprenticing with Lawrence Haprin.

 

"Landscape Development Report"

Muirhead & Justice landscape architects
November 1961
UVic Archives: #LE3V43M85

 

Gordon Head Campus Aerial View to the South West

1966
Photographic print
UVic Archives: #020.0109

 

Model of the Gordon Head Campus

1965
William E. John photo
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
UVic Archives: #024.0704

 

University Park Apartments Study 2 (not built)

n.d. (1961)
R. W. Siddall architects
Watercolour and pencil on board
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.2.8

 

Gordon Head Campus: North West View of the Campus Projected by the Master Plan

n.d.
Watercolour on paper
Allan W. Edwards artist for R. W. Siddall architect, and Wurster Bernardi & Emmons consulting architects
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.2.1

 

11. GORDON HEAD CAMPUS PLAN

The academic and support needs that drove the building program were guided by a study commissioned by international expert in secondary education planning Alfred W. Baxter. The Baxter Report became the guiding document for the first generation of buildings and the terms of engagement for the client academic units, as well as the various architectural firms charged with the design work. At the official opening of the university, Premier W. A. C. Bennett announced the University of Victoria would be a full-fledged institution independent of the University of British Columbia.

 

Projected Building Program and Some Tentative Planning Factors for Victoria College

Alfred W. Baxter, Jr. [Berkeley, Calif.]
Alfred W. Baxter & Associates
1961
UVic Archives #LE3V438A36

 

Official Opening of the University of Victoria

July 2, 1963
Ryan Brothers photo
Photographic print
University of Victoria Archives #024.0604

 

12. GORDON HEAD CAMPUS PLAN

The residential nature of the university, and its service role to both Vancouver Island and the mainland beyond the Fraser Valley, was considered a key feature. Educational programming consultant Alfred W. Baxter's first design articulated an Oxbridge-style "college system" of residential units, modernist cloisters, linked to a common recreational and dining centre.

 

Commons Block, Craigdarroch and Lansdowne Residences, View to the North East

1970
Photographic print
UVic Archives: #044.1001

 

13. CRAIGDARROCH RESIDENCES (1964 & 67) & LANSDOWNE RESIDENCES (1969)

Siddall Dennis & Associates architects

"Craigdarroch" and "Lansdowne" residential units, names referencing Victoria College's two previous homes (Craigdarroch Castle in Rockland and the Provincial Normal School in Lansdowne) represent two stylistic stages in the development of the Siddall office. The first, "Craigdarroch," detailed in wood and stucco, reflects the current domestic side of West Coast modernism and the second, "Lansdowne," connects with international-style brutalism in its unadorned heavy concrete massing.

 

Craigdarroch Residences, View from South West

Ca. 1964
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

Craigdarroch Residences, View from South West

Ca. 1964
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

Craigdarroch Residence, South Facade

Ca. 1965
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

Lansdowne Residence

n.d. (ca. 1970)
Photographic print
UVic Archives: #052.1414

 

14. GORDON HEAD CAMPUS PLAN: CUNNINGHAM BUILDING (1971)
Erickson & Massey architects

In 1967 the guiding hands of consulting architects Wurster Bernardi Emmons were dropped in favour of Erickson & Massey Architects, whose award winning scheme for Simon Fraser University on Burnaby Mountain was garnering international attention. The Cunningham biology building, set in the south east forest quadrant of the ring, with native plant landscaping by Cornelia Hahn Oberlander, was the main result of this change in direction. However, Erickson's 1968 report, a critique of the Siddall/WBE master plan for the campus, was not well received. By 1970 WBE were reinstituted as consulting architects/planners.

 

"Progress Report on the Master Development Plan"

Erickson Massey architects
1968
UVic Archives #LE3V392E75

 

Cunningham Building, South Facade

1971
UVic Photo Services photo
Photographic print
UVic Archives: #020.0906


Cunningham Building, West Entrance

1974
UVic Photo Services photo
Photographic print
UVic Archives: #067.0334

 

15. CENTENNIAL STADIUM (1967)
Siddall Dennis Warner architects

Federal funds in support of Canada's 100-year celebrations supported the construction of the stadium, a university-community joint venture. As projected in the original campus plan, the location was adjacent to, and on the periphery of, the ring.

 

Centennial Stadium, View from the North

Ca. 1967
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

Viewing the Centennial Stadium Model

n.d.
William E. John photo
Photographic print
UVic Archives: #044.0102

 

Centennial Stadium, View from North East

Ca. 1967
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

16. EDUCATION ARTS (MACLAURIN) BUILDING (1966)
Alan Hodgson architect

This being the largest building on the new campus, the design envisaged a major concert hall, as well as accommodation for the largest faculty, Education, which previously had occupied most of the Lansdowne campus. The brick decorative cladding references the original Italianate 1913 Young Building at Lansdowne. Hodgson opened up the building on the ground floor, opening circulation directly into the landscape setting and the south-facing hard-surface square.

 

Education Arts (MacLaurin) Building

Watercolour and pencil on paper
n.d. (1966)
Allan W. Edwards, for Alan J. Hodgson architect
Private Collection

 

Education Arts (MacLaurin) Building

n.d. (1966)
Allan W. Edwards artist, for Alan J. Hodgson architect
Watercolour and pencil on paper
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.2.11

 

17. SOCIAL SCIENCES (CORNETT) BUILDING (1966)

John Di Castri architect

Essentially four linked blocks around a central cloistered quad, the building was to serve a number of academic discipline clients including Anthropology, Psychology and Sociology. The bones of the building are articulated with pre-cast concrete elements in-filled with breeze-block panels and decorative block screens.

 

Social Science (Cornett) Building Model

Courtesy Fine Arts 350 students Veronica Best, Joel Duifhuis, Morgan Homes and Kevin Jensen

 

Social Science (Cornett) Building

n.d. (1964)
Allan Edwards artist, for John Di Castri architect
Watercolour and pencil on board
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.2.6

 

Social Sciences (Cornett) Building Court Yard

1966
artist anon.
John Di Castri architect
Watercolour and pencil on paper
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.2.7

 

18. CAMPUS SERVICES BUILDING (1965)

Donald Wagg architect

Like John Di Castri's Student Union Building, which this structure faces, the structure was a combination of pre-cast concrete structural elements with block infill. Also like the SUB, clerestorey windows were a feature of the design. An innovative financing scheme involved prepaid rent by anchor tenant the Bank of Montreal.

 

Campus Services Building East Facade

October 1965
Victoria Press photo
Photographic print
UVic Archives: #049.0711

 

19. SCIENCES (ELLIOTT) BUILDING (1963/4)
E. Curtis provincial architect

LECTURE WING (1964) Wade Stockdill Armour architects
Originally intended for the Lansdowne campus, early design work was undertaken by Alan Hodgson while working in Public Works. The design was finished in the department by architect Andrew Cochrane with exterior detailing by Jack Wilkinson. The adjacent Lecture Wing by John Wade's office utilized tilt-up construction modules. A dominant feature is the concrete accordion roof housing a clerestorey that floods the interior hall with indirect light.

 

Elliott Building

n.d. (1964)
Allan W. Edwards artist, for Wade Stockdill & Armour architects
Watercolour and pencil on paper
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.2.14

 

Elliott Building Addition

n.d. (1974)
Artist anon., for Siddall Dennis Warner architects
Watercolour and pencil on board
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.2.8

 

Science Building (Elliott Lecture Wing)

n.d. (1964)
Allan W. Edwards artist, for Wade Stockdill & Armour architects
Watercolour and pencil on board
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.2.8

 

Canopy Detail, Science (Elliott) Buildings

n.d. (ca. 1965)
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

Elliott Building, North Facade

1963
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

Elliott Building, from the South West

1963
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

Elliott Lecture Wing, West Facade

Ca. 1964
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

Elliott Lecture Wing, Concourse

Ca. 1964
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

Elliott Lecture Wing, Theatre

Ca. 1964
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

20. SEDGEWICK BUILDING (1968/9)
Downs Archambault architects

Architect Barry Downs provided a West Coast domestic form and finish for these single-storey office and classroom units gently integrated into a series of courtyards planted with native ferns and salal. They were intended to be "temporary."

 

Sedgwick Building, View from South West

n.d. (ca. 1969)
Ian McKain
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
University of Victoria Archives #045.0106

 

Sedgewick Building Exterior

May 1971
UVic Photographic Services photo
Photographic print
UVic Archives: #94-008

 

21. CLASSROOM (CLEARIHUE) BUILDING (1962)
Wade Stockdill & Armour architects

A pillared ground floor supported the classroom floors above but allowed for circulation on the main floor to communicate directly with the landscape on both sides. The end stairwells feature stabile/mobile sculptures by artist Bill West. WBE's guidelines supported commissioned artworks by local artists for each building.

 

Clearihue Building

n.d. (1962)
Allan W. Edwards artist, for Siddall Dennis Warner architects
Watercolour and pencil on paper
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.2.5

 

Clearihue Building from the South West

1962
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

Clearihue Building, Main Floor, View South

1962
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

Clearihue Building, Stairwell with Mobile/Stabile Sculpture

Bill West artist
n.d. (ca. 1964)
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

22. McPHERSON LIBRARY (1964/74)
R. W. Siddall architect

It is the bold cast relief panels by sculptor George A. Norris, rather than the size and bulk of the building, that allow the facade to anchor the east end of the quad. The library was seen as a major motif and leading element in the design of the campus plan and a focus for the landscape features.

 

McPherson Library

1971
"Norton" artist, for Robert Siddall architect
Watercolour and pencil on paper
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.2.12

 

McPherson Library

n.d. (1964)
Allan W. Edwards artist, for Wade Stockdill & Armour architects
Watercolour and pencil on board
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.2.8

 

McPherson Library, South Facade

Ca. 1965
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection

 

McPherson Library

1964
Dane Campbell photo
Photographic print from 4"x5" negative
University Archives #021.0911

 

23. STUDENT UNION BUILDING (1963)
John Di Castri architect

The distinctive sculptural pillars were cast on site. Di Castri went to great lengths, including opening up a dry basement "moat" around the building and putting clerestorey windows tucked under the soffits and complex skylight structures to work with the sculptural effects of light within. A high point of the lounge was a "light sculpture" design by Di Castri himself.

 

Student Union Building

Architectural Model
Courtesy Fine Arts 350 students Pamela Davis, Murray Down, Stephan Moser and Greg Randell

 

Student Union Building

n.d. (1964)
Allan W. Edwards artist, for John Di Castri architect
Watercolour and pencil on board
University of Victoria Archives
2004-003 MD 8.2.12

 

Student Union Building, View from the South East

Ca. 1965
UVic Information Services photo
Photographic print
UVic Archives: #045.0201

 

Student Union Building, Lounge

n.d. (ca. 1965)
Hubert Norbury photo (1897–1969)
Digital print from 4"x5" negative
Private Collection