McPherson Library (1964 and 1974)
It is the bold cast relief panels by sculptor George Norris, rather than the size and bulk of the building, that allows the facade to anchor the east end of the quad. The library was seen as a major motif and leading element in the design of the campus plan and a focus for the landscape features.
———
This is a four-storey reinforced concrete building, the first storey being below grade; there is additional office accommodation in a penthouse section on the roof. The exterior finish is architectural pre-cast concrete, exposed stone aggregate and rough granite. The exterior bas-relief pre-cast panels were designed by BC sculptor George A. Norris. The glass mosaic panel in the main lobby was the work of Margaret Peterson. The original building was constructed between May 1963 and August 1964; a major addition was built in 1972 and 1973, with interior areas completed in 1974.
The special importance of an academic library was symbolized by a public ceremony on
July 2, 1963—the day after the University of Victoria was established by legislation—in which
the cornerstone of this building was laid by Major-General The Honourable George R.
Pearkes, Lieutenant-Governor of British Columbia and visitor to the university.
Although the original building was occupied solely by the University Library, the addition
was designed to provide lower-floor space for Audio-Visual Services, as well as temporary
accommodation on upper levels for various academic and administrative units (including the
Faculty of Law).
Name
Thomas Shanks McPherson (1873–1962) was this institution's first major benefactor. A native of Airdrie, Scotland, he came to Canada in 1882. In due course he acquired major real estate holdings in Victoria, including a 50% share in the Central Building and ownership of the Pantages Theatre, now the McPherson Playhouse. When he died in Victoria at the age of 89 (December 3, 1962), the bachelor philanthropist left a bequest of $2,250,000 and his share in the Central Building to the fledgling university, and most of his remaining estate (including the Pantages Theatre) to the city of Victoria.
Facts and Figures (first stage)
Architect: R. W. Siddall and Associates
Structural: Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd.
Mechanical: D. W. Thomson & Company Ltd., [Vancouver]
Electrical: Spratt & Associates
Contractor: Narod Construction Ltd., [Vancouver]
Contract: $1,220,000 (May 24, 1963); $1,204,819
Gross area: 86,500 sq. ft.
Cost per square foot: $13.93
Official opening: November 14, 1964 (Special Convocation)
Facts and Figures (second stage)
Architect: Siddall Dennis Warner
Structural: Read Jones Christoffersen, Ltd.
Mechanical: (1972) F. T. Gardiner, P. Eng., (1974) D. W. Thomson & Company Ltd.
Electrical: Spratt & Associates
Contractor: Farmer Construction Ltd.
Contract: $2,545,360 (Feb. 22, 1972); $2,587,427
Gross area: 125,900 sq. ft.
Cost per square foot: $20.55
See UVic's maps and buildings description.
Plans
Photographs












