March 24 – April 24, 1998
McPherson Library Gallery
Curated by Lenore Hietkamp
Laszlo Hudec (1893-1958) was an influential Hungarian architect who escaped a Siberian P.O.W. camp and lived in Shanghai from 1918 to 1945. This exhibit displays his sketches, plans and photographs paired with archival material from UVIc Special Collections and contextual information about Shanghai.
His buildings included the home of D. V. Wood (Woo), now the Shanghai Planning Institute (1938); the Science Building/Labratory for Chiao-Tung University (1931); the Christian Literature Society Building (1930); and the Chapei Power Statio/Waterworks (1929).