January 15 – March 15, 2003
McPherson Library Gallery
Curated by Ken Guenter and Can Russell
The online catalogue is available here. It features side by side comparisons of the artists’ works and inspirations, curatorial statements and information on a variety of furniture styles.
Works by 20 local furniture designers inspired by antiques in the Maltwood collection. The genesis of this exhibition goes back to 1982. We live in an age of much more liberal thought and expression. Art now assumes fewer barriers and almost no borders. Still, it makes for an interesting exercise to examine each piece with the questions in mind, “Is it furniture?” or “Is it art?”. What is evident, as we follow the continuum from historic to contemporary, is that they haven’t made them like they used to!
- 20 Years of Fine Furniture (2007)
- Cascadia: Studio Furniture from Oregon, Washington, British Columbia and Alaska (2007)
- Explorations in Wood (2004)
- Explorations in Wood (1996)
- Explorations in Wood (1990)
- Furniture from the Maltwood Collection (1987)
- 400 Years of Furniture from the Maltwood Collection (1984)
- Hand Crafted: Contemporary Decoartive Arts in B.C., 1950 to 1970 (1983)
- The Cabinet Maker/Designer: An Exhibition (1982)