June 19 – October 25, 2013
Legacy Art Gallery Downtown
Curated by Caroline Riedel
View the online catalogue:
This exhibition presents an overview of the University of Victoria’s Visual Arts department from its earliest days as a breakaway department from the Faculty of Education to the individually and collectively earned reputations for innovation in painting, printmaking, drawing, photography and sculpture.
Thirteen artists who were also appointed faculty members are included in this exhibition including John Dobereiner, Donald Harvey, Pat Martin Bates, Gwen Curry, Douglas Morton, Roland Brener, Mowry Baden and Fred Douglas. Primarily drawing on work from the university’s permanent collection, this exhibition reflects a range of media and groundbreaking artistic practice.
- Paradox: Vikky Alexander, Lynda Gammon, Daniel Laskarin, Sandra Meigs, Jennifer Stillwell, Paul Walde, Robert Youds (2013)
- Visual Arts Department Faculty Group Show (1979)
- Faculty of Art Education 30th Anniversary (1998) featuring John Dobereiner
- John Dobereiner: Retrospective (1986)
- White on White (1982) featuring John Dobereiner