University of Victoria Legacy Art Galleries sets goals to guide its acquisitions, collections management and community involvement. Updated in 2013, the Legacy Art Galleries' goals are as follows:
- To be a site for research and presentation of scholarship related to our diverse collections, which feature strengths in Pacific Northwest Coast and Contemporary First Nations art and Decorative Arts
- To serve as a resource for cross-disciplinary research and teaching and to facilitate experiential learning and mentorship in curatorial studies
- To be a preferred partner in artistic and community collaborations
- To be a cultural hub and a centre for public programming and events linking the university with the larger community
- To showcase the art collections in university public spaces and to produce outstanding exhibitions reflecting the cultural interests of our various communities on and off campus
- To partner with donors in building a quality art collection
- To be stewards who preserve, document, and present the university's art collections for the benefit and education of present and future generations.