Maltwood Prints and Drawings Gallery at the McPherson Library
This gallery is a storage, reference and exhibition facility dedicated to our permanent collection of works of art on paper. Exhibitions draw from the permanent collection and are vetted by the Maltwood’s Exhibitions and Programs Committee. Students, faculty and the general public have the opportunity to access this collection via our database at http://www.maltwood.uvic.ca/newmis/. Original works can be viewed by appointment by calling 250-472-5619 or emailing email@example.com.
** Please note that the Maltwood Prints and Drawings Gallery at McPherson Library has moved to a new location on the ground floor of the library building.
Additionally, the McPherson Library and adjacent Mearns Centre house some 800 works from the University Art Collections in their public spaces. Highlights include sections devoted to the Rickard Contemporary First Nations print collection (third floor), paintings and prints by Donald Harvey (second floor) and areas devoted to some of the best-known artists in Victoria.
The Maltwood Prints and Drawings Gallery is open during regular library hours. For further information on library hours, please visit http://library.uvic.ca/site/lib/hours/.
History of the Maltwood Collection
The Maltwood Gallery is named in memory of John and Katharine Maltwood (1878-1961), benefactors to the University of Victoria. The collection that they donated reflects the taste and travels of Mrs. Maltwood and her husband. The collection moved to its current home in the University Centre in 1978 and amalgamated with the University art collection, begun in 1953.
Holdings of the original Maltwood collection range from Chinese ceramics, textiles, rugs, 17th century English furniture, Canadian painting, and Katharine Maltwood's own sculpture and drawings. Major additions to the collection document the development of the International Arts and Crafts movement, focusing on the designs of William Morriss and his associates. The sculptures of Katharine Maltwood are permanently installed on campus, particularly in the University Club on the west side of the campus.
Students and the public with specific interests may view the collection on request to the curator. The collection is also fully documented via our online database. Learn more about the Maltwoods.